I’ve neglected my blog for several months, but I have spent the time doing other creative things and taking photos of them as I go.
Here are a few shots that explain how I collage backgrounds for my mixed media works.
- On a small canvas board (or canvas) and use tinted gesso or a light wash of acrylic paint to establish the base color.
- I tear small pieces of printed scrapbook paper and paper ephemera, which I then attach to the board matte gel medium.
- Next, I add a transparent wash of acrylic paint to unify the surface color.
- After the wash has dried, I add details using stencils and rubber stamps.
- For these boards, I added dabs of fluid acrylic in a coordinating color and a metallic. I usually leave this step for last, after I add the focus image (for me, that’s usually a cute big-eyed critter of some sort).
Materials used: Utrecht canvas boards, Golden fluid acrylics, Liquitex matte medium, various scrapbook papers, various rubber stamps, Studio G stamping ink, plastic palette knife, foam sponge brush, plastic lid.