Allison Stein is an artist, author, TV addict, geek princess, and cat servant — not necessarily in that order. When not painting, writing, updating her social media status, or serving as cat furniture, she hoards art supplies and practices Advanced Google-Fu.
Her short fiction appears in several Yard Dog Press anthologies (I Should Have Stayed in Oz, A Bubba In Time Saves None, Houston We’ve Got Bubbas, and Flush Fiction) as well as Death Is Only Skin Deep from NobleFusion Press and A Horror A Day: 365 Scary Stories from Barnes & Noble Press.
Her art can be seen at science fiction conventions in the Midwest and online at AllisonStein.com and Fine Art America. She has also provided cover art and interior illustration for Yard Dog Press, NobleFusion Press, and KaCSFFS Press.
Allison is a founding member the NobleFusion writers’ collective and volunteers as webmaster and/or social media marketer for several genre-related organizations.
After spending an eternity as a technology marketing communications specialist and refugee of the Dot-Com Wars, Allison is now a technical writer specializing in software documentation that even technophobes can understand.
- SFWA: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (since 1998)
- NFPW: National Federation of Press Women (since 1989)
- Previous roles: Board of Directors, Web Director, Parliamentarian, Webmaster, Missouri Affiliate President, South Carolina Affiliate President, President’s Advisory Board, Contest Review Committee.
- State and national awards for fiction, non-fiction, web site, and social media
- Missouri Communicator of Achievement 1997
- KaCSFFS: Kansas City Science Fiction and Fantasy Society (since 1994)
- ASFA: Association of Science Fiction & Fantasy Artists (2012-2015)
- HWA: Horror Writers Association (1998-2005)
- “Field Test No. 142” (Flush Fiction, Volume II: Twenty Years of Letting It Go! Volume 2, Yard Dog Press, 2016) Awards:
- 1st place, Short Fiction, Missouri Professional Communicators, 2017
- 3rd place, Short Fiction, National Federation of Press Women, 2017
- “Fresh Sausage and Biscuits” (Death Is Only Skin Deep, NobleFusion Press, 2013)
- “But Wait, There’s More!” (I Should Have Stayed In Oz, Yard Dog Press, 2011)
- “They Blamed Sherman” (A Bubba In Time Saves None, Yard Dog Press, 2010) Awards:
- 1st place, Short Fiction, Missouri Professional Communicators, 2011
- 2nd place, Short Fiction, National Federation of Press Women, 2011
- “Curious George Visits the Solar J Astroport Diner” (Houston: We’ve Got Bubbas! Yard Dog Press, 2007) Awards:
- 1st place, Short Fiction, Missouri Professional Communicators, 2008
- “Buryin’ Bubber’s Box” (Flush Fiction, Volume I, Yard Dog Press, 2006) Awards:
- 1st place, Short Fiction, Missouri Professional Communicators, 2007
- “Dining Made Simple” (365 Scary Stories, Barnes & Noble Press, 1998)
- Death Is Only Skin Deep, edited by Tim W. Burke (NobleFusion Press, 2013)
- Music for Four Hands by Lou Antonelli and Edward Morris (Yard Dog Press, 2011)
- Tick Hill by Billy Eakin (Yard Dog Press, 2006, out of print)
- Diva by Mark W. Tiedemann (Yard Dog Press, 2005)
- The Blood Within by Jax Laffer (Yard Dog Press, 2003, out of print)
- Through My Glasses Darkly: Five Science Fiction Stories by Frank M. Robinson edited by Robin Wayne Bailey (KCSFFS Press, 2002)
- 13 Horrors: A Devil’s Dozen Stories Celebrating 13 Years of the World Horror Convention edited by Brian Hopkins (KaCSFFS Press, 2003)
- E-scape: The Digital Journal of Speculative Fiction (1998-1999)
- Manifest Destiny: KC’s SF/F/H Connection (1994-1996)
- Dark Dixie Anthology #1 (Marrietta Publishing, 1996)
- Technical Writing and Software Documentation
- Web Site Management and Web Content Development
- Social Media Marketing
- Technology Marketing Communications writing, editing, design
Genre & Fandom
- Frequent guest/panelist/artist at ConQuesT, SoonerCon, and Archon.
- ConQuesT Kansas City (Webmaster, Social Media Manager, Programming Chair, Art Show Co-Chair, Marketing Co-Chair, ) 1995-present
- World Horror Con 2003 (Programming Chair)
- Nebula Awards Weekend 2002 (Planning Committee)
- World Con bid committees
- KC in 2016 (Webmaster)
- KC in 2009 (Webmaster)
- KC in 2006 (Webmaster)
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Hall of Fame (Founding Committee, Board of Directors) 1996-2004
Arts & Crafts
- Primary Media: Watercolor and Mixed Media originals, signed limited edition prints.
- Primary sizes: 9″x12″ and smaller, including 2.5″x3 .5″ (also known as ACEOs or art cards)
- 20+ years participating in SF convention art shows (usually Archon, ConQuesT, and SoonerCon, with many more regional conventions prior to 2010.)
- Fine Art America 2014-present
- Etsy 2008-2012