(top) Purple Princess With Orb, 5×7, watercolor on 140# Arches
(bottom) Purple Princess With Wand, 5×7, watercolor on 140# Arches
I started these two paintings several months ago, but abandoned them. They seemed weak, washed out, and a little cartoon-y. Last weekend I gave them a fresh look. I decided they needed some depth of color, some contrast in tone, and some detail. So, I darkened the darks, built up some depth in the shadows, and added some detail to the face and dress.
They are still in search of a name. She’s still in search of a name. For now, she’s known as the Purple Princess, even though the one with the wand is a little misshapen, like a fairy godmother who has seen better days.